Performance level of the xc7a35t or the xc7a100t (speed rating)

Hello, I was wondering if the AU or AU plus will be at performance level 2 (speed rating), i noticed that both are performance -1, I like the form factor and programming of alchitry, but I’m doing some sfp work and need a higher performance -2 or -3, mostly -2 will do fine

the 100 shows xc7a100tft256-1, I was looking at xc7a100tft484-2

regards

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I shot SparkFun an email asking if adding faster variants would be feasible. I’m not sure how much demand there is for the faster grades but if anyone else if looking for them I’d love to hear it.

Justin

Justin,

that would be great, the speed bump would allow for more areas that the board would be useable in, I was hoping that the XC7A100T would have the -2 on the AU+, there is a xc7a100tft256-2 available, although i think the official reference is XC7A100T-2FT256I, anyway, I just would really like to stick with alchitry rather than other development systems. and allowing for work in the fiber channel and 10gigibit world I think would be an advantage for the product. It is also possible that a -1 will work, but if you go to Vivado under high performance the options for high speed they are grayed out. but if it turns out that they are thinking of doing it, I would hold off until i could work with the new product, and then I could stick with the same manufacturer for development.

regards

Jeff

I don’t know if this subject is the right place to ask, but if there is plans for a new revision, do you plan on one that would expose high-speed trancievers?

I was thinking about a project that would involve monitoring a SATA device.

Also, this would allow to make a PCIe shield and put the board inside a PC, allowing some nice use-cases such as accelerators and maybe even some Vitis use-cases :smiley:

There aren’t any high-speed transceivers for the Artix 7 in the package used by the Au. A board with these would be a completely new model. Not out of the question, but not likely to happen soon. Maybe a platinum board…

Platinum sounds good, the more models the better for me. I am also in favour of the “silver” version where SRAM would be instead of DDR3.

How much SRAM are you looking for? I was looking into SRAM a bit and it’s fairly expensive. The fpga on the Au+ has almost 5mb of block ram internally. 4mb external SRAM would take almost 40 IO pins and add about $10 to the final board cost. I’m just not sure if this would be useful to most people for the extra cost.

Hi, I recommend 16 Mbit minimally. I like these SRAMs:
IS61WV20488FBLL: (2M x 8) 8 or 10ns
https://cz.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ISSI/IS61WV20488FBLL-10BLI?qs=l7cgNqFNU1jg5%252BuWOp7vIw%3D%3D
or bigger
IS61WV204816BLL (2M x 16) 10ns
https://cz.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ISSI/IS61WV204816BLL-10BLI?qs=cttFivMKqWygmzV9oE9bxA%3D%3D

and reduce price at least by removing DDR3

What’s your use case for this? These are still quite expensive (2-4x the current DDR3 chip) and I think the internal BRAM is likely plenty for most people. Maybe an Sr element with it on it for the people who need it…

Personally, my only issue is the speed rating, ram not so much, Currently I’m using a AC7100B, alinx, but It is over what I actually need, and I would prefer to develop in your enviroment instead of vivado directly. regards, jeff