• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
routing DDR3 fails with invalid clock parameters
Has anyone gotten the DDR3 module to work with the alchrity AU+ board?  I followed the tutorial at

https://alchitry.com/blogs/tutorials/usi...lchitry-au

and also just ran a pure verilog version on Vivado, neither one of which appears to work. Lot's of other stuff is working on this board, but I've had no luck with the DDR3.

I have the xilinx DDR3 module instantiated, along with a MMCM clock synthesis generating 100Mhz input, 100Mhz to sys_clk_i and 200Mhz to clk_ref_i.  Vivado synthesizes without error, but routing DRC complains about this:

[DRC PDRC-34] MMCM_adv_ClkFrequency_div_no_dclk: The computed value 200.000 MHz (CLKIN1_PERIOD, net pll_clk3) for the VCO operating frequency of the MMCME2_ADV site MMCME2_ADV_X0Y2 (cell i_mig_7series_0/u_mig_7series_0_mig/u_ddr3_infrastructure/gen_mmcm.mmcm_i) falls outside the operating range of the MMCM VCO frequency for this device (600.000 - 1200.000 MHz). The computed value is (CLKFBOUT_MULT_F * 1000 / (CLKINx_PERIOD * DIVCLK_DIVIDE)). Please run update_timing to update the MMCM settings. If that does not work, adjust either the input period CLKINx_PERIOD (40.000000), multiplication factor CLKFBOUT_MULT_F (8.000000) or the division factor DIVCLK_DIVIDE (1), in order to achieve a VCO frequency within the rated operating range for this device.

Looks like the internals of the Xilinx DDR3 module expects something different for the sys_clk_i and clk_ref_i frequencies.  It suggests updating timing (Vivado wont allow me to do this), and setting the CLKIN1_PERIOD and other parameters manually is grayed out. 

Any suggestions? I tried to do an example with Lucid following the tutorial, but that failed as well--it is getting confused what the top level file is--never finds it--and never builds.

Here's the top level source instantiation

mig_7series_0 i_mig_7series_0
(
   .ddr3_dq             (ddr3_dq),
   .ddr3_dqs_n          (ddr3_dqs_n),
   .ddr3_dqs_p          (ddr3_dqs_p),
   .ddr3_addr           (ddr3_addr),
   .ddr3_ba             (ddr3_ba),
   .ddr3_ras_n          (ddr3_ras_n),
   .ddr3_cas_n          (ddr3_cas_n),
   .ddr3_we_n           (ddr3_we_n),
   .ddr3_reset_n        (ddr3_reset_n),
   .ddr3_ck_p           (ddr3_ck_p),
   .ddr3_ck_n           (ddr3_ck_n),
   .ddr3_cke            (ddr3_cke),
   .ddr3_cs_n           (ddr3_cs_n),
   .ddr3_dm             (ddr3_dm),
   .ddr3_odt            (ddr3_odt),

.sys_clk_i           (sysclk),
   .clk_ref_i           (sysclk_2x),
   .app_addr            (dev_ddr3_addr),
   .app_cmd             ({2'h0,~dev_ddr3_wr}),
   .app_en              (dev_ddr3_en),
   .app_wdf_data        (dev_ddr3_wdata),
   .app_wdf_end         (1),
   .app_wdf_mask        (0),
   .app_wdf_wren        (dev_ddr3_wr),
   .app_rd_data         (dev_ddr3_rdata),
   .app_rd_data_end     (1),
   .app_rd_data_valid   (dev_ddr3_rd_data_valid),
   .app_rdy             (dev_ddr3_rdy),
   .app_wdf_rdy         (dev_ddr3_wdf_rdy),
   .app_sr_req          (0),
   .app_ref_req         (0),
   .app_zq_req          (0),
   .app_sr_active       (dev_ddr3_sr_active),
   .app_ref_ack         (dev_ddr3_ref_ack),
   .app_zq_ack          (dev_ddr3_zq_ack),
   .ui_clk              (clk_ddr3_ui),
   .ui_clk_sync_rst     (ui_clk_sync_rst),
   .init_calib_complete (init_calib_complete),
   .device_temp         (device_temp),
   .sys_rst             (nrst)
);

clk_wiz_0 i_clk_wiz_0
(
   .reset             (~nrst),
   .clk_in1           (clk),
   .clk_out1          (sysclk),
   .clk_out2          (sysclk_2x),
   .locked            (locked)
);
I just ran through making a Au+ project using the DDR and didn't run into your issue.

Below is the project I used (for Alchitry Labs). You will have to create the two Xilinx cores (go to Project->Add Memory Controller to add the MIG core then once that is build, Project->Vivado IP Catalog and create the clk_wiz)

It should build and work then.

https://cdn.alchitry.com/forum/Au%20Plus%20DDR.zip
(05-18-2021, 04:25 PM)alchitry Wrote: I just ran through making a Au+ project using the DDR and didn't run into your issue.

Below is the project I used (for Alchitry Labs). You will have to create the two Xilinx cores (go to Project->Add Memory Controller to add the MIG core then once that is build, Project->Vivado IP Catalog and create the clk_wiz)

It should build and work then.

https://cdn.alchitry.com/forum/Au%20Plus%20DDR.zip

It will not create the Stub file whether I use the above zip or the Au code (same results). I am using Au+. This is the error in Vivado: mig_7series_0_synth_1, Synthesis Out-of-date. Under Chang Log there are 5 errors, netlist.v are and stub.v are two of them. I did fid an article on how to make out of date be ignored but due to upgrades since 2018 I cannot find how to do it.

Any ideas?